Basement Make Over
My husband was off work for a 12 day stretch beginning December 23. We had decided to use this time to work on redoing the flooring in our basement. You may (or may not) recall, we had a flood in August of 2020 that required all the carpeting to be ripped out, and we lost much of the furniture that was in there as well. We'd just hadn't gotten around to it, mostly because we just don't use that side of the basement much since we quit having our school room down there.
Back in November, I realized how crowded Olivia's poor bedroom was, and had an epiphany that we could redo the floors and she could move downstairs to have more room. It does tend to be a lot cooler down there all year round, so she slept on the floor a couple of times to make sure she wouldn't mind. She actually sleeps better in the coolness, so there's that.
December 22 - we moved all of the sewing/crafting/scrapbooking supplies from this side of the basement to the storage side, where the furnace and hot water heater are. The room didn't seem to have "THAT" much in it when we started moving things over, but we soon filled up the unfinished side of the basement. I left a little path to the deep freezer, the washer/dryer and left a safe gap around the furnace and hot water heater.
December 23 - The tiles that are on the basement floor are asbestos, so we chose to encapsulate them instead of having to pay a company to come in and "properly remove" them. There are a few tiles cracked and missing. Tom and Olivia spent the day filling those missing areas in with floor leveler and cleaning the floor. As seen in the photos, I had to leave a few tables up until I finished packing/delivering holiday sweets.
Here are photos of the before, from several different angles. You can see the areas that were missing tile, or had broken tile (the black is the missing area).
December 26 the flooring began in earnest. This was a learning curve, since Tom had never worked with flooring. The original plan was Olivia would help him, but with her work schedule and having to work the horses that were at the barn, she wasn't here for much. Lindsey and I were the helpers.
This first photo was the beginning, and the second photo was where the day ended. I'll admit, I was not amused with the lack of progress. I am a results driven, get it done type of person. Tom stopped working at 2pm on the first day of installation, and that just annoyed me to no end.
January 2 - We spent the day moving Olivia's furniture into her new suite. I realized that Lindsey is a little stronger than I'd given her credit for, as she helped me moved some pretty heavy items. Olivia was able to get most of her things put away between shifts and at the end of the work day.
Here's a tour of the new "suite". You'll notice her horse motif throughout the room, I guess you'd say it has a southwestern flavor. You'll have to overlook her boots, they are apparently fashionable and decorative. First up is the stairway from the upstairs, complete with twinkle lights on the handrail.
As soon as you come down the stairs, the bedroom portion of the room is directly in front of you. Notice her t-shirt quilt on her bed. I saved all the shirts from camps, ballet performances and sports teams from the time she was little and had the quilt made as her graduation present.
Looking out across the room, the next portion is her "sitting room", complete with a working fireplace.
I'll show you what we did with her old room in a later post.