Golf Club Protection: The Best Travel Bags for 2020
Just imagine that you booked your ultimate golf bucket list trip. Maybe you chose somewhere like Pebble Beach, St. Andrews, TPC Sawgrass or Pinehurst.
Youre probably excited beyond belief. A vacation with your friends or family playing the course youve always dreamt about playing.
That is, until you start thinking about the travel aspect of it. More specifically, how to travel with your precious golf clubs.
Because lets face it, if youre going to play a once in a lifetime course you need to play with your own clubs. This isnt a time to try out some generic rental clubs.
Luckily, traveling with golf clubs doesnt have to be as bad as it seems. While weve talked about traveling with your clubs, I want to dive into the best golf travel bags for 2020.
There are so many choices out there that if you havent bought one yet, I want to make sure you get the right fit for your game. Im confident after reading these youll find the one that will help get your clubs to your dream destination or just safely to your next golf adventure.
Our Picks for Best Golf Travel Bag
- CaddyDaddy Golf Constrictor 2 Travel Cover Best Budget Golf Travel Bag
- SKB Deluxe ATA Golf Travel Bag Best Hard Case & Best Premium Golf Travel Bag
- Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian Golf Travel Bag Best Soft CaseTravelBag
If youre new to the golf travel bag scene, youll quickly learn there are a ton of choices out there. From buying locally at a sporting goods store, on Amazon or somewhere else, there is no shortage of selection.
Heres what you should compare when picking out your first golf travel bag.
The first thing youll notice about the wide selection of golf bags is the case structure itself. Some of the cases are hard while others have a soft case. Both have their pros and cons depending on your golf travel needs.
The main pros of soft cases are that they are usually cheaper and easier to transport, especially if you have a smaller vehicle. Plus, theyre easier to store in your garage when youre not traveling. Hard cases on the other are usually much bigger and heavier but also have more protection for your golf clubs.
Ill review the best golf travel bags for both soft and hard shells so this is more of a personal preference than anything else.
The next most important factor for picking out your golf travel bag is ensuring its durability and padding inside to protect your sticks. Whether you choose a hard shell or a soft shell case, I always recommend a Bag Boy backbone travel cover support system.
This makes it less likely for your clubs to get damaged when handled at airports and thrown into cars or vans. The last thing you want to have to deal with when youre out of town is a snapped driver shaft. Make sure you snag one of these on Amazon to ensure your clubs are protected and not crushed.
Another big factor is the price of the bag. Youll see these bags range from pretty inexpensive all the way up to the $500 range depending on the model and brand you choose. Its important to find a bag that fits your budget but will also last a long time. Dont go cheap and then have to replace it every year.
Remember, this travel bag will protect the clubs that you probably spent thousands of dollars on. Dont get cheap now and suffer when something happens to them in transit.
Depending on how frequently you travel, its important to get one that relatively easy to transport back and forth. If youre older, I recommend getting a lighter, soft shell bag to ensure you dont hurt your back getting the clubs in and out of the trunk.
Another important factor is the amount of storage within the bag itself. This is one area where the soft cases usually win as they have 2-3 extra pockets outside the bag to house balls, golf shoes, and other accessories.
Its important to remember to always check airline rules when it comes total weight for your golf bag. Usually, if its over 40 or 50 pounds, youll have to pay an extra $25 to $50.
The last factor when selecting from our list of the best golf travel bags is the warranty. You want to make sure company behind the bag offers a warranty in case something happens. This is more important with soft shell bags as they can get holes and tears while hard-shell bags seem to last a lot longer.
Now that you know what youre looking for before you buy, here are the best golf travel bags for airlines in 2020.
The CaddyDaddy Golf Constrictor 2 travel bag is a great bag that Ive personally used for the last 18 months. Ive got hands-on experience with this one and theyve helped get my clubs all over the country including an epic trip to Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hills.
- With 3 outside pockets, there is plenty of room to house my clubs, shoes, rain gear and more.
- Its super easy to fold up and put in a storage cabinet in the garage.
- Another huge pro is the 8.5-pound design so Ive never had a problem loading it up with gear and ever going over 37 pounds or so.
If youre only traveling a few times a year and want a budget-friendly bag, this is a phenomenal option. Its pretty inexpensive, its lightweight, easy to store and has tons of storage. This is a great option for most golfers. If you want more info, check out my in-depth review of the CaddyDaddy Golf Constrictor 2.
2. AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag
Yes, Amazon basically makes everything at this point. When they notice an item is consistently selling theyll create their own Amazonbasics model for it, including a low-priced golf travel bag.
The AmazonBasics soft-sided travel bag is very affordable and has a ton of perks for such a low priced golf bag.
- Aside from price, the biggest pro is the durable nylon fabric and ability to stand on its own even when clubs are inside.
- Its also got a ton of storage with two massive outside pockets. Plus, it has a ton of padding to protect your woods.
- Some of the negative reviews talk about wheels falling off and ripping relatively easily.
- Luckily, users have gotten replacements but its still more work and hassle for you.
At such a low price its a great buy with little risk as the investment is so small. Overall, its ranked very high by golfers worldwide and an easy choice if youre not traveling often.
The Ping Rolling travel cover is another top choice among golfers worldwide as the bag is extremely easy to get your clubs in and out of with ease. The soft shell case is made of a very durable material and there is a ton of padding to make sure your clubs travel safe.
- The Ping bag is also great because its a 4-wheel design which makes it easy to push or pull the car through an airport.
- Its very well designed with quality material that looks very durable, a side zipper, and compact when storing in your home or garage.
The bag is a solid choice but the biggest concern is the lack of storage including a separate shoe compartment. This makes it a pain if you have to put your shoes in your suitcase as they take up a lot of extra room.
4. SKB Deluxe ATA Golf Travel Case
The SKB Deluxe ATA golf travel bag looks more like a weapon for war than for carrying golf clubs. Its design is a bit obnoxious but its not focused on looks but simply one goal: protecting your clubs from the woes of traveling!
- Durability, durability, durability. This hard shell bag seems unbreakable. Its made of polyethylene which keeps moisture and dirt out.
- The makers of this product are so confident on it they offer a $1500 club coverage and a million-mile guarantee.
The SKB is made of durability and works for both stand bags and cart bags but a little tight with bigger cart bags. They also have a TS lock which makes it more likely to be searched so dont put too much else outside your bag itself. Overall, this is the best hard case on the market with the only con being the weight. Pack accordingly!
5. Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian Golf Travel Bag
The Sun Mountain Clubglider Tour Series is travel bag for the serious golfer who doesnt want to risk anything when theyre traveling. If youre a very serious player whos invested a lot (i.e. PXG golf clubs) this is the bag for you.
- With the 4-wheel design and overall look plus durability, this is one of the best golf travel bags for so many reasons.
- It has some of the best protection available and has some of the highest reviews on the internet.
- Not only is durable but its aesthetically one of the best cases to look at.
- The biggest con for most players is the sheer price. This is one of the most expensive in the market.
- Some reviews said the release mechanism is a bit stiff when opening and close and the main zipper isnt that accessible.
- Otherwise, the internet didnt have too many negatives for this epic golf bag.
The 4-wheel make transporting it incredibly easy and the extra storage makes it easy to transport all your gear. Plus, this item comes in all black or a black/white version as well. Both are super clean and easy on the eyes. If you can afford it and are serious jet-setter, this bag is well worth the price.
The Club Glove Last Bag is another trusted golf bag that is used and trusted by pros on many of the biggest tours so it had to make this list. Its made of cordura which is much more durable than nylon and provides a ton of protection for a soft shell case. Plus, its so big it makes it easy to transport tour and cart bags easily.
- Its made in the USA and everything from the material to the zippers and clasps are made with super high-quality material.
- Its super easy to get your clubs in and out and theres one main zipper.
- Plus, the bag comes in 16 colors so it makes it easier to identify it in the airport carousel.
There is also a Club Glove Last Bag XL Tour pro version thats even bigger and offers all the same benefits. At only 9 pounds its still incredibly light and easy to transport with ultimate protection.
Both of these models are great selections but its pricey. If youre looking for a reliable bag and travel frequently with a cart or tour bag, this ones for you. Remember, dont skimp on quality for price when it comes to protecting your sticks!
Lastly, the Caravan 3.0 is another great option for getting your clubs from A to B with consistency. Its well priced and has a lot of perks for that low of a price point.
- The soft shell case has a strong polyester blend material that makes it very durable.
- It also had additional padding on the top to protect your clubs and not pack it with a bunch of towels.
- Plus, the two outside pockets make it easy to store a ton of gear easily.
This product is very comparable to the Caddy Daddy and really comes down to price and looks if youre comparing side by side. Its a budget-friendly bag thats great for the light traveler.
8. Samsonite Golf Hard-Sided Travel Case
Some players prefer choosing functionality over aesthetics and the Samsonite Hard Sided Travel Case is a great example. While it isnt the best to look at it, it is very high quality and has plenty of extra storage for all of your equipment.
- Three color choices.
- Even though it looks heavy and bulky, it is very lightweight and durable solid.
- Inside the hard case travel bag is a padded quilted interior with extra foam cushioning on top to protect club heads (huge benefit over most cases).
- Four multi-directional spinner wheels and two inline skate wheels allows the case to be pushed or pulled.
- Internal compression straps secure the bag inside the case to ensure its not moving around nearly as much.
- Accommodates larger 10.5 top golf bags with longer, 48 clubs (thats three inches normal than a standard, off the rack driver).
- There arent many downsides but price is important and its not cheap. Its roughly 2-3X the prices of some of the other choices on this list.
- Appearances. Personally, Im not a fan of the look at its bulky and kind of generic looking but at the end of the day, its easy to move and will keep your clubs safe.
I wont lie, this heavy duty bag wont win any awards for appearances. It looks more like a rolling coffin but I am 100% confident that your gear will stay safe en route to your destination. The ABS Shell shields your bag and clubs from the wear and tear of travelling.
Plus, this is one of the few options that allows longer clubs as well. With quality materials and packing features, this piece of luggage can take your clubs is a pretty good choice.
9. Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3-Piece Travel Set
If youre skipping hard cases because they arent as fashionable, I think you will love the Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3-piece travel set. Not only do you get a good looking bag, but it also comes with a matching duffel bag and shoe bag.
- Six two-tone color choices that wont get dirty or worn down easily.
- Duffel bag makes a great carry on bag that you can use year round.
- Sealed ball bearing inline skate wheels allows for the case to be pushed or pulled.
- Inside features a padded quilted interior with extra foam cushioning on top to protect club heads.
- Made with lightweight and durable polyester that shields your bag and clubs while still looking good!
- Functional shoe bag with mesh ventilation windows to help prevent moisture buildup, and large enough to accommodates two pairs of shoes (upt to size 13).
- Smaller in size. If you have added length to your woods, they might not fit.
- While the material looks sturdy, some reviewers on Amazon had a different experience.
One thing I like about this choice is the matching shoe bag and duffel bag. Plus, all of the colors are great looking and appear to have been made with high-quality material.
Looks aside, the bag seems highly functional with the extra foam cushioning to protect club heads. Plus, you can push or pull the bag around the airport easily.
10. Athletico Padded Golf Travel Bag
The Athletico padded soft cover bag is one of the most affordable options on the market. For a quick weekend trip, I think this is a solid option but for longer destinations, another bag could work better.
- 5mm of padding throughout, to help protect your golf clubs during transit.
- Easy to carry. A padded shoulder strap further allows you to carry the bag through crowder airports with ease.
- 600D polyester and feature a vinyl base to protect the bag from scuffs and abrasions.
- One color choice but the material seems sturdy.
- Zero external pockets. Where are you supposed to put your extra gadgets and shoes? On the exterior of the bag, the only thing is the strap and name tag. If youre a golf hoarder and pack heavy, probably not for you.
This soft bag is far doesnt look like its the most protective but reviews about it have been glowing. Ideally, I think this option is best for a lightweight stand bag not a staff bag. For a quick trip, this one can work but with no outside pockets, you probably have to use your luggage space to carry some of your gear.
If youre on a budget, you may want to seriously consider this option. Plus, if you need to keep moving through a busy airport, you can throw this on your shoulder and get moving.
FAQs about Golf Travel Bags
Where should I buy my travel bag?
I think Amazon is always the best place as so many people are Amazon Prime members you can get your stuff delivered quickly. In most cases, you can get your brand new travel bag in less than two days and in some instances, same-day delivery.
So if you notice your old golf bag has a hole or is looking a little worse for wear, you can easily replace it quickly. Plus, with Amazons generous return policy, you can return it if you dont love it after opening the box. If you take it out of the box and think the material is too thin or a wheel is lose and could fall off, imagine how bad it will do when a baggage carrier is tossing it around.
How much should I spend on my golf travel bag?
As you probably know by now, golf is not a cheap sport but its so addicting, most golfers will do and spend whatever it takes. While I cant determine how much you should spend on a bag, I think price comes down to what type of travel you plan on doing.
If youre the type of golfer who is going to travel frequently, you will want to splurge on a bag that will protect your equipment. You also want to make sure it is well under weight limits so you dont have to constantly worry about that each time you go to the airport.
If youre someone who is only going somewhere 1-2x per year, you can choose a more budget friendly, soft sided bag. While they dont offer quite as much protection as the hard sided bag, each one above is a quality golf travel bag. Plus, youll save 50-75% depending on your selection.
What are the best ways to pack your clubs?
Regardless of the bag you pick from this list, make sure you use these tips to ensure you end up getting your clubs to the destination safely.
- To protect your club heads, detach your driver and fairways woods if they are adjustable. Then, store them in the pockets of your bag itself or in a separate, checked bag to save room and reduce weight.
- Use towels or bubble wrap for irons or other clubs. Even though its more work you can ensure they dont get scratched up.
- Double check the weight before you go to the airport and confirm with the airlines how much weight is allowed per bag before having to pay extra.
- You dont want to put anything expensive with your clubs in case they are lost (i.e. GPS watch, expensive rangefinder, golf GPS, etc.).
- Always take pictures before you go so you have documentation in case anything happens in transit.
- Use a stiff arm if you are worried about using a soft sided bag. A stiff arm is a few inches longer than your driver and will create a more sturdy outer shell.
For more traveling tips and information, check out our full guide onHow to Travel with Golf Clubs.
Final Thoughts on Travel Bags
Regardless of whatever bag you choose, selecting the right travel bag is all about protecting your clubs and finding the right one for your budget. Not all travel golf bags are created equal.
If youre going to golf and travel, your number one priority is to make sure they ended up at the destination safely. A broken wood can ruin your mood and experience that you might have spent a lot of money on.
Whether youre looking for a soft or a hard cover, make sure to do your research. Each golf club travel case should get your clubs safely but personal preference, budget, color, style, and features will play a factor as well. Not to mention, some of these store easily in your house or garage while others could take up a lot more room.
Also, you want to ensure the inside of the bag has plenty of protection for your clubs. Dont forget to factor in your golf bag as well. If you have a cart bag, you might need to get a large carry case or hard case as the smaller, more budget friendly ones wont fit.
Pick up one of these golf travel bags so that you can start playing new courses in 2020 and start enjoying golf more than ever before.
The post Golf Club Protection: The Best Travel Bags for 2020 appeared first on The Left Rough.